There's A Female Astronaut In All of Us
So the other day I was watching a repeat of Oprah (I know, I know...but there really was nothing else on - more on my Oprah view another time) and they were talking about the female astronaut, Lisa Nowak, now famous for driving cross-country in a diaper to confront her lover's new woman. Sure, the situation was funny and everyone (myself included) found an opportunity to deliver some clever one-liners at her expense (I don't care what yall say, that space weed shit was funny, dammit!!), but then a lady called in and provided a totally different perspective that I'd never thought of before.
She was saying that while wearing a diaper seemed crazy to many of us, it was perfectly normal for Lisa because it was a situation she was used to. She also said that the bigger picture was that this woman cared so deeply about someone else that it drove her to irrational behavior, and it's something that could happen to anyone. The difference is that most people usually have a friend or a strong conscience that stops them from completing the irrational action. I have to agree.
Whether its:
- checking your significant other's email/phone/personal communications, or
- constantly checking on your mate to see where s/he is and what they're doing, or
- hitting/verbally abusing your partner, even if it's during a heated argument,
irrational behavior really can happen to any of us, if we don't hear that voice (or friend) that says, "Wait a minute, what are you doing?"
These may not seem to be to the magnitude of Lisa Nowak's actions, but if you're behaving in a way that is against your moral standard, then it's irrational. I think we've all been in romantic situations where we haven't measured up to our personal moral yardstick - the difference is that we didn't get caught and talked about on national media.
I was talking to a guy friend of mine the other day about past relationships. He admitted that he'd been in a relationship once where he'd gotten so mad at his girlfriend that he pushed her to get out of the apartment and she fell. That was his Female Astronaut Moment - the loss of reason and acting outside his usual self (he's one of the most placid people I know).
I've had my Female Astronaut Moment too: in relationships my big thing is unconditional trust. I give it, and I expect it. If my guy tells me XYZ, I take him at his word and accept that he's telling the truth. No doubts. No questions asked. When doubts and questions start entering my mind, I know a Female Astronaut Moment is approaching. It was that way with First Love; unconditional trust until one day, I just began doubting and questioning everything. I started feeling like maybe he was trying to play me (paranoia). I listened for inconsistencies in the things he said. That was my Female Astronaut Moment. The temporary loss of the rational SimplEnigma who trusted her partner. I knew it was time to do some soul searching.
When your Female Astronaut Moment hits, it's time to reevaluate your relationship...
Labels: Must Reads


10 Comments:
I have to admit, I have had so many astronaut moments in the last three years that I almost feel like I'm an actual space cadet. But I've think I've gotten it under control. It's kind of like confirmation bias, you'll find what you're looking for. So, no more reading e-mails, or pulling up web pages in the temporary internet folders (neat trick btw), or scanning cell phone pics, text messages and last dialed #'s. No more driving by the house at night checking out the parking spaces for unknown... hold up, hold up... I'm saying too much. Yeah, I know I got a lil astronaut in me.
hmm.. never heard the story behind this astronat, I need to look it up later.
listening for inconsistencies.. lol I always do that, I have trust issues :( but thats where it ends.. I dont even look at the caller id when one of my girls phone is ringing and its right infront of me nor look through their phone/emails/computer..
hmm, no female astronaut moments come to mind.
Ive had a few "Astro-Moments" in my lifetime. But Im very afraid of crossing into the realm of the illegal (and the insane!) to go but so far.
lol
paranoia is a slippery slope
LMAO @ Say Yeah...Y'all IT folks have me scurred. Ahh, to be a fly on the wall of yall's brain.
@Adrian, I think you and those in the land of the dead are the only people who never heard that story. LOL. Right now some indigenous people are talking about it in some faraway place. I think trust issues are one of the first signs of a F.A.M., but that's just me.
LMAO @ Lola drawing the line at illegal stuff. "Morally offensive is ok...as long as it's not illegal." LOL...I'm dying at that.
@Owen, yeah...I felt myself slipping down that very same slope, and knew it was time for a woosah break.
This was such a great post, and absolutely on the money. I think we've all been there more than once, and more than we would like to admit it.....
Especially as we get older we tend to be less trusting, and excuse our behaviour on past indiscretions. I for one am working hard to get past this.
Afterall sometimes I find we women get into relationships looking for a reason to get out.
temporary internet files ruined my last relationship...ok, maybe it was really my paranoia and distrust, but those files sure helped.
i've done all the stuff say yeah mentioned & more (GPS tracking device hidden in his car!) and i HATED that i had turned into a crazy stalker. luckily i had a tiny shred of sense left to end it before i made the leap [read: got caught] to REAL ILLEGAL INDICTABLE stalking...
@ Chica: Damn girl (no pun intended)! You should fire your friends and your inner voice, cause one of them should have said something waaaay before you got to the GPS installation phase.
I dunno, maybe around the time when you went into the store to buy it? LOL.
LMAO...I thought GPS installation was real illegal indictable stalking. This is funny on so many levels...I think this is gonna be in my Blog Readers' Hall of Fame.
Damn ya'll women are serious too... LOL. Just proves that love can lead to irrational behavior. Putting up with things you wouldn't normally. Going off on things you let everyone else get away with. Getting upset someone doesn't call enough/too much. Maybe doing both.
damn then I've been to the moon and mars and back...I'm on my way back up again....this time I'm taking passengers.
Post a Comment
<< Home