Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Be Careful What You Wish For...

There comes a point in every blogger's life, when you encounter a situation so ridiculous that it leaves you absolutely speechless (after you've laughed hysterically at its absurdity for a good few minutes). This is one such time...A friend of mine sent me the following email from a distribution list that she's on:

tried every dating site out there only to meet men who still live with their mothers or have pet orangutans? well here's some news: there's a new dating site called wealthymen.com . (you heard us correctly.) it's a site where, you guessed it, all the men are (pause) wealthy.

what do you have to do, you ask? simple. sign up with wealthymen.com for free and enter a couple quick, easy details about yourself, upload a pic (not of pamela anderson please), and poof. you're done. you can search all the single successful men (who earn a minimum of $100k) in your area. (this is no joke.) they're all pre-screened, and have symbols next to them reflecting income and profession. (and pics are verified.)

we know. this sounds really funny. but so does the idea of a date with a stamp collector.

There are so many things wrong with this, that I don't even know where to begin... Ah well, I gotta start somewhere:

1. Why would anyone want someone to be with them because of what they have? Call it naivete, but I'd feel pretty crummy knowing someone is just after me for my money. But there's a flip side: a dude with questionable character could get unlimited cooch offa this thing, when you consider the ratio of "wealthy men" to the women who seek them. Which brings me to my next point:

2. If you're a self-proclaimed gold digger this site is...well, gold. LOL. But why would any regular, run-of-the-mill chick even go there? I mean, dude is probably already assuming you're a gold digger (and will probably treat you as such, refer to #1).

And even if he assumes that you're just a nice girl looking for a nice guy (which, by the way you can find on any one of the thousands of dating sites out there), I happen to believe that people who choose to distinguish themselves by their material possessions are usually trying to make up for other insecurities, and simply aren't worth the effort. I'd prefer a dude who took his chances in the general pool of Match.com or eHarmony. But that's just me.

And if those two reasons weren't bad enough, the site goes on to say:

Men: Tired of receiving few email/contacts due to so many guy members? At WM, you are the few and proud.

Trust me, there could be a billion guy members on any given dating site. If women find you attractive you'll get emails. Plain and simple. A dude who isn't getting any emails shouldn't really be blaming the numbers; he should be pointing his finger at his parents.

Then they say:

Women who sign up are given the benefit of browsing an online dating site
with men who are verified by our strict Wealthy Men Verification System.

First off, what the hell is a Wealthy Men Verification System? Do they come to your house and verify that you are indeed wealthy? Or do you have to fax them your bank statements? And secondly, tell that to the women who did a search in Jamaica and found these two wealthy 21 year olds who are making between $100K-$500K. Oh, by the way, are those figures in Jamaican dollars? Because the conversion rate is JA$70 to US$1, and that would mean your $100K dude is really making less than US$1500. LMAO.

I'm sure I could go on for days about the absurdity of this idea, but the site required me to join to see more, and some things I just can't bring myself to do, even in the name of research. LOL. But in the site's defense, all the information on the site isn't questionable; I did a search for wealthy single men in my hood (Bed Stuy) and came back with no results. Sounds about right to me. LMAO.

C'mon is it just me?

Email me your own dating/relationship dilemma.

7 Comments:

At January 10, 2007 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW...

so do the men have to pay to sale themselves?

 
At January 10, 2007 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Trust me, there could be a billion guy members on any given dating site. If women find you attractive you'll get emails. Plain and simple. A dude who isn't getting any emails shouldn't really be blaming the numbers; he should be pointing his finger at his parents."

Kind of harsh innit? If there are 100 guys to 1 woman on those things, which woman has time to look for any guys. Their getting tons of responses on their ad. I think thats their point.

Of course, I thought this site was surely a joke. But, it really does exist its seems. Those two types deserve each other completely. Let them live. LOL Clear the garbage away for the rest of us.

 
At January 11, 2007 2:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once posted an ad on Craigslist looking for Remington Steele or Thomas Crowne, must own two houses and have killer good looks. I got a $100 dinner. Beforehand, he slipped up and mentioned that reception was bad in his apartment. I still met him.

He didn't hold up his end of the deal. In his photo he was clean shaven and wearing a suit. In person, he looked like an English Professor in a corduroy jacket with a gotee. He did not project the James Bond attitude.

 
At January 11, 2007 9:14 AM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

LOL @ Enchantress: I dunno. It would make sense that since they were so wealthy, they could afford to pay. Maybe they have to pay to be verified.

Mr. A: Y'know, I meant to say that both groups deserve each other, and I forgot...thanks for that little note, 'cause I feel like they really do.

Regarding your other point: all the sites have search features. A woman who is serious will just put in her criteria, and make it more specific (or more general) depending on the results she gets. Having done those sites before (the eHarmony story is coming I promise!) I guarantee you that a woman will look through 100 guys' profiles if they fit her search criteria. They just ugly. LOL.

@Des: LMAO...your stories are hilarious. I suppose a $100 dinner is good, considering. He could've taken you to Applebees or TGIF. LOL. Thomas Crowne, huh?

 
At January 12, 2007 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with gold diggers. Why shouldn't a woman go after what she wants. The fact is A LOT of women want a RICH man. It signifies security. But, it's in our nature to rationalize away the things that can't fit our equation. By that I mean, those women all realize that the rich men are far and few between so in order to not feel like they're settling for something less than what they want, they'll give greater importance to the more intangible things like a great personality and sense of humor.
My thing is, if that's what you want (a rich man) there's nothing wrong with that. Go for it. I'd rather you go spend your time looking for him than wasting every waking moment of your time with my broke ass pondering what life would be like sipping Krug,Clos du Mensil.
I mean, I sure as hell aint picking up "Ugly Betty." But, I know I'm not gonna get Halle either so I'll take a look alike with a sense of humor, some skills in the kitchen and a dash of artistic talent.

My thing is people really shouldn't be criticized or chastized for their preferences. Like Mr. A said, let them spend time searching for the rich man, it clears the way for the people who actually and TRULY value the other things in a relationship.

So keep digging GD! Just let me know what you're digging for up front so we don't waste each other's time. I know it's a lot to ask but I'm trying to be a little optimistic here.

 
At January 13, 2007 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang girl, instead of asking so many darn questions, go check out the men for yourself already!

Ok, you won't? I'll tell ya about it. Later.

 
At January 15, 2007 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, went and signed up but I'm still to get the email to complete the process. So my research has grounded to halt, nothing to report :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home