Tuesday, December 28, 2010

On Being Mistaken For A Pro

I should've learned my lesson from my solo trip to the Bahamas. But apparently I'm a glutton for punishment. So I went back on another vacation...by myself.

The first night, I got into the elevator with a Jamaican man and his daughter. His significant other was in the lobby; I guess she had left something in their room. The minute the elevator door closed, he went at it. First a compliment, which I accepted. Then another, which I accepted.

Then, "Mi woulda like fi get fi know yuh, enuh." I dismissed him, thankful that we had reached his floor. Instead of leaving f the elevator, dude had the nerve, the unmitigated gall even, to ask if he could come up. Erm, up where? We know each other?! I couldn't get out the word "No" fast enough. And each "no" kept getting louder and louder (I think I was on the verge of hysterics) until he finally left, embarassed. Did I mention he was with his kid?! And his woman was a few floors below us?!

But that, my dear friends, was only the tip of the iceberg. The following evening, I sat by the bar making conversation with a tourist who was also by himself. We chatted about current events, about the government taxing alcohol, Dudus, tourist harassment and few other odds 'n ends.

I guess my knowledge on Jamaican current events and my accent made him think I was living in Jamaica. And apparently young, beautiful women who live in Jamaica don't go to stay in hotels by themselves, because the questions took a different turn:

"Are you staying in the hotel or nearby?" (It's an all-inclusive; they don't even let visitors come to the main property. Why wouldn't I be staying at the hotel?)
"Are you here for business or pleasure?" (My response--"Even business is pleasure when you're doing it in Jamaica."--probably didn't help matters.)
"Did you just come for the tourist season?"
"How do I reach you?"

I confess, even after the first three questions, I was TOTALLY clueless. It was the fourth question coupled with a simultaneous mumbling from the bartender under his breath in patois ("Ah some'n him a look, man! Him tink a work yuh a work!") that made me realize I wasn't having an easy conversation with a stranger at the bar. To say I left the bar quickly would've been an understatement. Even Usain wouldn't have been able to catch me that evening.

Should I stop talking to strangers or just stop going on vacations to the Caribbean alone?

3 Comments:

At December 29, 2010 7:51 AM, Blogger IrieDiva said...

woiiiiiiiiii DWLLLL u was a wuk at di bar. times get ruff man SE!

u fi stop go pon vacay by uself is wah do u? mi nuh waah dem tek u weh enuh! schuups

 
At December 29, 2010 6:08 PM, Anonymous search said...

Heckie no, you don't stop going alone, nor do you stop speaking! However comma...you put them in their place fass fass when they even sound like they want to get freshlol Tell the bright and facety bastards from jump you're there to relax and that does not include jumping in the sack with some random stranger that thinks you're a pro! See how fast they move from you then. LOL

 
At January 21, 2011 12:59 AM, Blogger Jhaldir said...

Ah watch yah.. two of my favorite old bloggers hanging out in the same post. You guys remember di I? Just reconnecting and seeing who is still around from my old blog roll.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home