Sunday, May 04, 2008

If You Really Loved Me You'd Say It On My Facebook Wall


"wall post " pre-facebook
Originally uploaded by skihardkore.
Well, since Facebook is responsible for the demise of my last relationship (that, and the fact that dude was a liar), you probably already know I'm not too keen on the site for relationship purposes. In the first place, it's not a dating site (that's what Match.com and BlackPeopleMeet.com [LMAO] are for). Besides, haven't people ever heard that you shouldn't shit where you sleep? If dating from your pool of friends isn't like taking a big ol' dukie on your bed, I don't know what is. Secondly, why do people need to show a status anyway? Especially, if you're gonna be changing it every few weeks.

Anyway, I'm digressing...point is relationship statuses shouldn't be on Facebook. If it does get to the point of flirtation, that's what conversations are for.

A friend of mine recently got married and updated his status on Facebook (Who does that? Do you leave the church and say, "I gotta remember to update my Facebook status!"?). Except that he forgot to update the "Looking for" section, so it still said: "Looking for: dating, a relationship, networking." *sigh* There's so much I could say about this situation, but I'll just say this goes into the "Sometimes Men Are Idiots" pile. LOL.

So another friend and I were chatting and she told me she's currently not speaking to the dude she's dating.
"Why?" I wanted to know.
"Because he doesn't make it obvious that we're together on Facebook."
I thought she was kidding. Someone couldn't be not speaking to their significant other for something that, well, insignificant.
"Are you joking?' I asked.
"No, we had a talk and he updated his status but he writes the same trivial shit on my wall like he does for everyone else on his list, so no one really knows that we're together."

I was floored. Do people really care about that stuff? I guess if you spend that much time on the site, it can begin to feel like real life. I didn't know which was more pathetic: that she needed to have that online validation or that Facebook was such a big part of their relationship. Good grief.

Sometimes being single ain't all that bad...

10 Comments:

At May 05, 2008 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

life really is just like high school I guess

I have a friend who sent a bulletin on myspace to let everyone know he is now "in a relationship"

lol

 
At May 05, 2008 12:37 AM, Blogger Kuntreegal said...

I could never understand why ppl feel they need the facebook world to know there every single detail of they life. Like really who cares!!!!I really do think they need to get a life!

But I do enjoy reading your blogg!!

 
At May 05, 2008 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know SE, the thing I leaned the most from reading your blog is that it takes all types to make this world go 'round, and you have met a few of those types.
Its funny how Facebook has become the "panacea" for some persons otherwise boring lives

 
At May 05, 2008 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol i can relate. those kinda things let all the chicken heads who'se looking your man know he's taken and just who has taken him. i got upset when my ex didnt wanna update his hi5 status, he subsequently cancelled his a/c. LOL

that was way back then tho. it really is kinda high schoolish. i've had no status on FB for so long now and I'm SOOOOOOOO happy i did, can you imagine me having to change it recently and every1 being all up in ma business asking me all these questions i just wouldnt want to answer??? no thanks!

 
At May 06, 2008 10:09 AM, Blogger Dee said...

different ppl use facebook differently. I run into a lot of ppl from my past(it's a very small world when you go to denominational schools). Having that status there made some things clear immediately. That is all.

My SO has not changed his status on myspace. It's not a problem. It's myspace. If I can't trust him on myspace maybe I should move along.

 
At May 06, 2008 12:49 PM, Blogger Jameil said...

"Because he doesn't make it obvious that we're together on Facebook."

i definitely know people like that. lmao @ mary.

 
At May 06, 2008 9:08 PM, Blogger Crankyputz said...

I think you should never have any of that stuff on there to begin with....so you never have to update it...

And its also silly to have pictures and your loved one on,....its like your trying to validate to the world that your relationship exists...jeez we get it...

 
At May 06, 2008 10:12 PM, Blogger Ann (MobayDP) said...

You cannot be serious. She stopped talkin to dude because he wouldn't update his profile?

I know she's your friend and all but that's just ridiculous!

 
At May 07, 2008 9:31 AM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

LOL @ CP and Mary.
@GC: I guess I never looked at it quite like that before. It's a good way to nip shit in the bud before it begins, I suppose.

@Stephanie, I know it takes all types, but it seems like I know all the crazy ones. LOL.

@Ann, don't worry, I told her how dumb that was. Hehe.

 
At May 27, 2008 12:46 AM, Blogger QueenBea's sushi chronicles said...

@mary PUHLEEEEEEEZ tell me you're joking...please

people you know better, it's not facebook it's fassbook...yuh know for some to fass up in some others' business. Now I'm not sure if I would update my relationship status, but I know I sure as hell wouldn't care if my S/O did or not.

I'll tell you one thing, that site confirmed for me that one of my highschool classmates is gay. I knew there was something about him at the time, just couldn't quite put my finger on it lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home