Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Let's Be Open About It!


So despite my not-so-great experiences with online dating (Mr. Right, Mr. Perfect, and the International Index Fund, to name a few), I decided that I had nothing to lose by trying it again. I'd joined a cool, hip dating site, where the people were all funny and witty and just like me. LOL.

So I met a guy. He wasn't my type (he had a whole head of gray hair), but he was tall, knew a lot about Jamaican culture (this gets me every time) and was a teacher (this too). We chatted via the site for a few days, then he invited me out for a drink. I accepted, even though he wasn't my type. I've been trying to avoid this whole "type" thing lately.

We met up, and chatted about generic stuff. I was commenting on the location he picked for the date when out of no where:

"Oh yeah, my wife actually told me about this place. She took me here a couple years ago." I heard the "wife" part, but just thought he meant to say ex-wife, and thought nothing of it.

Then we started talking about the neighborhood. It came again: "My wife and I really lucked out when we bought our place. We've been in it for a few years now."

My mind started to race. Could he...? Naw, he wouldn't be married and have the nerve to ask me out on a date! Then I got it: he just wanted to be friends. The site was a social networking site, after all, so I must have completely misread his intentions. I relaxed after that. I wouldn't have to do that awkward "let's-do-this-again-knowing-full-well-I-wouldn't" thing.

He pulled out a board game, which just confirmed that he wanted to be friends. Then, an hour and two drinks later:

"How come you didn't ask me about my open relationship?"

I damn near choked on my drink. It's a good thing I come from a family where we just repress our feelings and never talk about shit, so I can hide my feelings quite well. LOL. I managed to hide my surprise (and added a non-committal shrug for good measure).

"Your what?"
"My open relationship. I thought that's what you saw on my profile that made you accept the date." It occurred to me then, that I hadn't really read his profile. I'd scanned for any references to cats, made sure he wasn't a racist or a smoker, but never thought to look at his relationship status. LOL.

I quickly assured him that I had no interest (other than as possible subject matter) in his open relationship, which has been going on for nearly 10 years, by the way. Apparently he and his wife date other people, but are completely committed to each other. She knew he was out on a date, and had one of her own as well. Just when I started to think white people were normal...LOL. (That was a joke, please no anonymous comments about me being a racist, thankyouverymuch.)

But you see what I get for taking chances? *sigh*

Ok, I'm off to check my inbox to see if any single, normal people wanna date me.

14 Comments:

At August 26, 2008 9:54 AM, Blogger Dee said...

lol
you got me with the repression
personally trying to get over that myself
but omg you had me cracking up.
so you saw the profile, but you didn't read it. The large print giveth but the fine print. . .

 
At August 26, 2008 12:48 PM, Blogger ruthibel said...

lmao... girrrrl, i'm not even goin tell you the ish that went through my mind after i read this one. i swear i won't go there...

but "open" relationship? With his wife of 10 years, no less! *SMH* ah tell you, ah tell you, this world gets funnier by the minute... i swear, this life we're living... *SMH*

 
At August 26, 2008 1:03 PM, Blogger Pepper said...

thats what u get for dating a white dude!

*remembers will smith*

never mind

 
At August 26, 2008 5:26 PM, Blogger Shimada Boyce said...

That sucks. Sounds like a Bush Babee story.

 
At August 26, 2008 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*cues the music in the video game commercial*

"OH NO YOU DIN NT!"

Clearly all the rage these days. Had an old co-worker inform me that the WIFE of an ex flame called her cell phone to ask her out and recruit her for a on again, off again swap meet. Or would that be...swap meat?

signed,

-- "leave" the pink to the "ivy" leagues

 
At August 27, 2008 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL I'm at a loss....you are killing me.....really, I have no words ROFL

 
At August 27, 2008 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better you than me! My face woulda dropped the first time he said "wife" and that date would be a wrap! But good for you giving him the benefit of the doubt and not jumping to conclusions :)

 
At August 27, 2008 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha

haha

hahaha

wow

you always make me feel better.

 
At August 27, 2008 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JD, blind dater? If that isn't the most farfetched chit this side of farfetched chit. What next, we'll hear you've been Dipped n' Sniffed © ?

Speaking of online dating, my curiousity got the best of me like four years ago. Wrote a story bout it. Like to hear it? Here it go! Wahhh wah wah wahhhhhhhh

On megaupload you'll get these "adultfriendfinder" popups. Somewhere between late night theatrics, mischief (I had an ad: "Sir Loin searching for Tender Loin"), and plain boredom, I signed up for a laugh (naw, serious. blind dating is dangerous for me. last one was 6'2" and like - well hell, I couldn't even guess her weight. looking like Belly Furtado). Soooo up pops this username: shavedkitty78. With a *picture* of a shaved cooter that, uh, looked *far* too familar. With fingernails that looked *far* too familar. With hands cupping breasts that looked - you guessed it, *far* too familiar (I'm a breast man. We remember these things. *sniff*)! Hadn't spoken to her since Al Roker had elbow cleavage, so shot her an e-mail with "Shaved Kitty, eh?" in the subject line. I had a response saying "huh? what? whatchoo talking bout?" before I even released the "send" button...

[Flawda Evans] DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMNNNNN... [/Flawda Evans]

(wassap searchy)

 
At August 27, 2008 8:18 PM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

LMAO. Must be a slow day on DHR.

@GC: Yessiree, repression is alive and well in my family. I had to leave the first dude I seriously dated cos he always wanted to talk about his feelings. LOL.

@Ruthibelle: You have me intrigued. Tell me what you thought.

@Pepper: Crazy comes in all forms. This blog is a living testament to that. Did you read about Mr. Right?? He was black and West Indian. And so was Slim Shady.

Bush Babee: Where've you been dude? I thought you deserted me. I'm comforted that this shit happens to guys too.

LOL @ Ivy Leaf. Could it be...? Naw...It's impossible. Swap meat? Hysterical.

Search and M: I'm really happy that I can provide comedic fodder for your entertainment. Nothing pleases me more. *sigh* Sad part is, I was really looking forward to not telling about this date on my blog. :(

Kentroy: Your stories are hilarious. Please note that I didn't say I was on a porn site...I don't think it could be considered a date in that instance. Thankfully, there are no ShavedKittys or BallsofSteel on my site. You, my dear sir, should be writing for a living.

 
At August 31, 2008 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the story, and love this blog concept! Can I add this link to my blog? :)

 
At September 01, 2008 8:19 AM, Blogger QueenBea's sushi chronicles said...

I just choked on my saliva reading the "how come you didn't ask me about my open relationship" bit...where DO you find them!

 
At September 01, 2008 11:27 AM, Blogger owen said...

It seems like a win-win situation to me

 
At September 03, 2008 2:26 PM, Blogger Crankyputz said...

Goodness, Im glad Im not the only one with these odd ball experiences...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home