Monday, February 02, 2009

Sweating the Small Stuff


*sigh* (You know this is gonna be good when I start a blog post with a sigh).

The other day, I was chatting with a girlfriend of mine about guys. She mentioned that a mutual friend of ours (we'll call him Pits) had tried to talk to her, but she'd seen him out at a party and he'd had a big sweat stain in his armpit and she'd been completely turned off.

I thought she was being a bit unreasonable and told her as much. "You're a beautiful woman," I said, "He was probably just really nervous to talk to you, because I've never seen him sweaty before. He's always nicely dressed and doesn't smell. He could just have been having a bad day."

But Sweat Averse would not hear any part of it: "I just can't think of him in any other way since then," she insisted.

I just couldn't understand how one bad incident could completely turn someone off. Maybe I was taking it a little too personally because of my own, er, shortcomings. You see, when I really like a guy whenever I'm around him, I start to sweat profusely. I mean, just sweat pouring from everywhere. It's the weirdest thing: I can be on the treadmill for an hour, and not have so much as a glistening forehead, but put me in front of a dude I like and I'm dripping within minutes. I know, it's a cross I have to bear.

It got so bad that once I had to explain it to the guy (there goes TMI again). "I'm usually not this sweaty," I told him, "My glands just malfunction when I'm around guys I like."

Even after explaining my sweat problem to Sweat Averse, her heart was unmoved. She'd written Pits off with just that one incident.

So there's this guy that I met at a party a couple months ago. We'll call him Smiley, because he had such a wonderful, endearing smile. I mean, his smile just literally melts me. We have a couple mutual friends, and had such a great conversation at the party, I fell instantly in like with him. (I know you're wondering what this has to do with sweat, but just stay with me...) I mentioned to one of our mutual friends that I really liked him, and I guess something went on behind the scenes, because he asked for my email address. At the beginning of the new year, we exchanged a few emails and he asked for my number and called to ask me out.

Since I was traveling at the time, I told him I'd give him a call when I got back into town. I called him, and was so anxious about our conversation that I had one of my sweating episodes. Our conversation was literally ten minutes, and by the end of it, I was drenched. We made plans to go out on our first date, talked some more then said good night. After I hung up, I decided to send Sweat Averse and another of my girlfriends a text telling them about my sweating.

"Just hung up with Smiley" I wrote, "I'm sweating profusely...it's running down my sides and everything. Just thought I'd share because I know how much you love sweat, Sweat Averse. LOL!"

Sweat Averse responded almost immediately, but no response from my other girlfriend who's usually quick on the draw. I started to get a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. With mounting horror, I checked my outbox to see who I'd sent the message to.

Sure enough, I'D SENT THE TEXT TO SMILEY INSTEAD OF MY GIRLFRIEND. To say I was mortified would be an understatement. I don't think there's any word to describe my feeling. I started freaking out.

Called the girlfriend whom I should have sent the text to...she was at dinner and a bit distracted, but tried to think of excuses I could give. They all sounded illogical and implausible. Called Sweat Averse who was sleeping and clearly thought I was a moron. She was amused by the whole thing, but could offer no comfort.

Called my trusty friend H (she doesn't only provide New Years' Eve kisses, y'know). "You have to explain this!" she insisted. "And you need to call him right now!"

"I can't call!" I whined, a fresh stream of sweat breaking out on my back at the thought. Then my battery died and I was left all alone to figure it out.

Battery recharged, I decided to send him a text:
"Oops. Not crazy. Had been chatting with a friend about how I get nervous and sweaty when I talk to a guy that I really like."

Ten agonizing minutes later:
"LOL. I figured it was a mishap. Don't worry I like sweat too."

Did I not tell you that this guy rocks?!?

We had our date two days later...I'll save that recap for another time.

19 Comments:

At February 02, 2009 10:20 AM, Blogger owen said...

"Don't worry I like sweat too."? hmmm....tsk tsk tsk

 
At February 02, 2009 10:31 AM, Blogger Black Girl said...

Lol. I just get sweaty palms.

 
At February 02, 2009 10:44 AM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

Shaddap. LOL.

You're a hater, Owen. What's wrong with that response?

 
At February 02, 2009 10:47 AM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

@Black Girl, the shaddap was meant for Hater O. LOL @ sweaty palms. Ironically, my palms never sweat. Go figure.

 
At February 02, 2009 12:23 PM, Blogger Tami said...

My word's usually get mixed up and my A's sound like H's. sadness :(

 
At February 02, 2009 4:16 PM, Blogger Crankyputz said...

Oh Hello. That is a sweet response...have u guys gotten sweaty since??

I am a bit sweat averse too, particularly to the fella's at the latin clubs who need ot change shirts....

 
At February 02, 2009 4:56 PM, Blogger Pepper said...

no no i wanna hear about the date now!!! grrrr you're like a bad soap opera keeping me waiting for weeks for one likkl epiece a juice! lol

i like this dude!

 
At February 03, 2009 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are too cute, SE. lol

I think I like this guy....and as Pepper said, I wanna hear about the date!

Lucky for me, I don't sweat when I'm attracted to someone..I just can't flirt with that person...seriously. I can flirt with every other dude outta road, but if I'm feeling you, flirtacious D is locked down. It's sickening. *smh*

 
At February 03, 2009 7:56 AM, Blogger Kara - Jamaican Woman said...

ahhhhhhhhh he sounds like a sweety...i am staying tuned for the date update....lol

when i like a dude i become a bumbling idiot...if he is so attracted to everything else, he can overlook that, i eventually return to my witty, intelligent self...can we have a hooray for 'everything else'...lol

 
At February 03, 2009 8:17 AM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

LMAO @ these comments.

@Tami, we're Jamaican. Doesn't all our As sound like Hs? LOL.

CP, you're dead wrong. What's wrong with people working up a sweat when they're dancing?

@Pepper, sorry. I have to give you the background first. LOL @ bad soap opera.

Search, I'm the same way; I need to apply the logic that I use to flirt with everyone else to dudes I like.

Yes K, thank God for everything else. I texted him back after his response and said "Good thing I wasn't trying to make a first impression cos I woulda been screwed!" LOL.

My friends were all entertained by this story. I'm just thankful I wasn't talking about my gas.

 
At February 03, 2009 3:21 PM, Blogger owen said...

I mean come on, who is going to say "I like sweat too"? How can you like sweat? I mean thats just not said! I can't even save that phrase on a diskette.

 
At February 03, 2009 4:00 PM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

*wipes juice from computer screen*

Owen, you are SERIOUSLY one of the funniest people I've never met. LOL. "I can't even save that phrase on a diskette"

*dies*

And they said computer geeks have no personality.

If it weren't for that tootbrush you were using way past it's time, I might have a serious cyber crush on you. LOL.

 
At February 04, 2009 5:19 PM, Blogger ruthibel said...

what's the first thing that comes to your mind when a dude says he likes sweat? Hm... maybe it's just me... :) But good for you!!

 
At February 05, 2009 3:51 PM, Blogger Dee said...

well, all's well that ends well

 
At February 06, 2009 10:44 AM, Blogger KK said...

Mhmmm! Took him ten minutes to come up with that reply? I wonder how many lines he discarded before he settled for that one:) Must be a thoughtful fella... I guess.

 
At February 09, 2009 2:21 AM, Blogger ChpterReads said...

dude seems really cool.. he was understanding and everything.. glad that he wasn't mean about it

I stutter hard when I like a guy and I can't seem to look at him in the eye, but if its a guy that I'm not interested in I speak freely and I can stare a him all night long with no funny feeling..
GO FIGURE...

I want to hear about the date.. Did you end up sweating..

Oh and how about sweat averse, did she end up changing her mind about Pits??

 
At February 12, 2009 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uhmm, it's been a week and a day! where's the date recap! :tantrum: LOL

 
At February 12, 2009 2:44 PM, Blogger Pepper said...

im with search

struuuuuups you and adrian holding out!

 
At March 07, 2009 12:40 PM, Blogger owen said...

I don't understand why computer geeks get such a bad wrap for not being social whores. but seriously my toothbrush means alot to me and now you've heart its feelings. :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home