Black Women, Brunches & Book Clubs
"Your stock immediately tumbles when a Black man knows that you belong to a book club. 'Book club" is just womenspeak to get together and bitch about men. Sure y'all might talk about a book somewhere in there, but I guarantee you the conversation will center around men. And a man knows that if you're part of a book club, your probably a little jaded on the opposite sex, and sometimes we don't want to deal with that."
This, the philosophy of my recently-married male coworker on why I was still single. (This is The Coworker - y'know the one that told me that men would avoid me like the plague if I hit a certain age and hadn't been in a long term relationship? Yeah, that one.) I immediately dismissed his rantings as those of a newlywed with buyer's remorse...until he got a few of our other male coworkers to support his theory.
"Just take stock of the women in your book club - 'cause I know they're ALL women," he continued. "How many of them are in stable, successful relationships?" The other two male coworkers nodded enthusiastically in the background. "Probably none!" he continued, without waiting for me to respond. "That's because y'all dedicate so much energy into commiserating about what's wrong that when you leave, those of you in relationships go home feeling even more discontented - which causes problems - and those of you seeking relationships become so jaded by what you've heard that you give off that stink vibe to anyone who would approach you."
Male Coworker #1 picked up where he'd left off: "It's the same thing with those brunches, too. How many times has a guy approached you or any of your girlfriends at brunch?"
"Never." I replied, hating that I had to give any answer that supported their stupid, bogus theory.
"Precisely." Male Coworker #2 interrupted. "That's because we know the deal. Women don't just get together and go to brunch to talk about outfits, hair and nails. That stuff you can do over the phone. And if you're single, brunch with women isn't gonna get you any male attention. Guys will look; they'll admire y'all, but 98% of them won't come near yall. Because we KNOW."
Although I admit that the men may have a few valid points (we do sometimes get carried away in our venting; not everyone has the luxury of having a blog y'know), I really think it's a divide-and-conquer tactic. When you think about it, men have the most to lose by women getting together and sharing information. It was in one of these gatherings that I discovered that two people I knew were messing with the same dude. It was also in one of these gatherings that another two women found out that they'd both gotten picked up by the same dude with the same whack pick up line. Like I said, divide-and-conquer.
Sometimes you just need some female companionship, support, and yes, commiseration to get you through the week. And sometimes *gasp* you just want to discuss a good book you've read, or talk about things totally unrelated to men. I know, it's hard to conceive women actually getting together to read or discuss things totally unrelated to men, but it does happen here on earth. So if my book club meetings and brunches means I get a few less dates, I can deal with it. Girl power!! (Yes, I'm back to Miss Independent now that my landlord has caught the mouse in my apartment. LOL)


9 Comments:
I've heard guys say this before. I don't know what the big deal is, it's like when they get together to watch football or other things like that.
i've never heard this theory but i'm gonna have to check it out.
i have a male friend who is looking to join a bookclub. so what's that mean about him?? can't we all just like to read???
@LJ: Yeah God forbid, women just wanna get together and read or summin. Funny thing is, they all agree that this only applies to Black women, because "white women don't need to use a book club as an excuse to get together and male bash". I think they've been watching too many reruns of Sex And The City.
I know a couple guys in book clubs...but they're gay, so I don't know what it means when a straight dude wants to join one. I'll be sure to ask the "Book Club Etiquette Experts" LOL
Yeah GOD forbid the guys were telling you the truth. HOw quickly you dismissed their statements as "divide and conquer" instead of thinking... "Oh thats why that guy just looked, but walked by so fast."
@Anonymous #2
Now, now Pot...GOD forbid women just want to join a book club to *gasp* read and discuss literature. Or get together for brunch to talk about their jobs, finances, goals and aspirations...
It works in the reverse as well.
Intention of joining the book club and what actually occurs are not often the same. But, it wasn't a question of if you are joining to read. It was a statement on how you just dismissed their viewpoint. You basically said, "yeah I heard ya, but I choose not to see your point as valid" when you did that.
@Anonymous...I see what you're saying, but you also have to realize that any man who sees a bunch of women at brunch and automatically assumes that they're male bashing is automatically dismissing MY viewpoint. The same applies to book clubs.
My dismissing of their viewpoint is just as ignorant as them assuming that book clubs and brunches only mean one thing for women...oh, excuse me, Black women.
I understand to ignorant wrongs don't make a right, but I'm a little incensed that a man would make a snap judgement on a woman based on seeing her out at a meal with her girls...
Touche. They were jumping to conclusions. But, they were being honest that they do get that impression. It should be used as insight into why we do/don't do what you expect no? They actually gave you a walk in the mind of a man. This is why I think it's always good to have opposite sex friends. I think you speak more freely and get a better understanding of the opposite sex from those friendships.
LOL...granted they were being honest, but so was I. As they have their right to express their opinion (based on an assumption, I might add) I have my right to express that I think it's a crock of shite.
I'm thankful for the insight, but I don't know if I believe that it's an insight into male behavior or simply an insight into the behavior of a few males.
I feel you on the opposite sex friends thing though...That's been a big plus in my life.
Post a Comment
<< Home