Friday, June 08, 2007

How to Tell If S/He's Into You...


M.A., 27
New York

Simple Enigma I'm feelin' the blog. I'm a decent looking guy who owns his own business and home. I don't have a problem meeting women, but I'm always skeptical if they're with me because of me, or because of what I have. I'm sure I've messed up a few good things with this attitude. How can I tell if a girl really likes me for me?


I have to admit, it's refreshing to see a dude concerned about whether a girl is into him or not. He's Just Not That Into You spawned a generation of insecure women who analyze every move a dude makes as an indication of his interest (or lack thereof), so it's only right that guys get a taste of that insecurity every now and then. LOL. One day I'll have to dedicate an entire entry to my issues with that book, but today is not the day.

I think the signs of interest are universal, whether you're a dude or a chick (yet another problem I have with HJNTIY). Your situation is a little harder though, because gold diggers are smart. They get a bad rap as chickenheads, but you gotta have something upstairs to feign just the right amount of interest to get a guy comfortable enough to part with his cash. That takes some skill and know-how. So I'm gonna attack this in two ways: How to Spot A Gold Digger and How to Tell If S/He's Into You...

How to Spot A Gold Digger (also works for gigolos like The Starving Artist)
  1. If given a choice, they'll always want to go out instead of having a quiet evening in.
  2. And they'll always suggest a trendy, expensive place where a bottled water is $10...
  3. But somehow you'll always end up paying. (Some might even do The Reach.)
  4. If you DO stay in, it'll most likely be at your place. Gold diggers very rarely want their "marks" in their personal environment.
  5. They won't mind if you always have to work late. After all, you're making that money for them to spend, right? Someone who is after more than your money will insist on spending time with you.
  6. They'll ask you questions about yourself - but mostly as it relates to material things and earning potential.
  7. They're typically living above their means. Wearing designer duds with no job (or a low paying job) means they have to supplement their income somehow.

Is S/He Into You?

These aren't foolproof, but I bet they're pretty accurate. I'm sure no one is going to go through all this "trouble" if they're only looking to hit n quit. And if they do, it just means that they're really desperate.

They're interested in learning about you.
Not just the frivolous questions, like what you do, what you're favorite color is, etc., but things like, what makes you tick, what are your future plans, who are your closest friends, etc.

They remember things that are important to you, and try to incorporate that into future conversations or activities. For example, "I remember you liked basketball...do you want to come over and watch the game?"

They call when they say they're going to. And if they don't, they call as soon as possible afterwards.


They explain themselves. Someone who's interested in you is free with information. For example, if a dude was supposed to call and he didn't, if he's interested he'll tell you why he didn't call as opposed to, "Sorry, I didn't call."

They make plans to see you again - and in various settings. Whether it's, "There's this nice restaurant I want to take you to someday." or "When will I see you again?", someone who's interested will always hint at future plans. If they only want to see you in certain settings (i.e. out at a club, after 12 a.m., or "whenever you're not on your period"), they're probably not interested in the way you were hoping. LOL.

They talk about - or introduce - you to their friends. You ain't a thing, until the friends know about you, in one form or the other.

How can you tell when someone's into YOU?

11 Comments:

At June 08, 2007 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know... I kept running into this gentleman here. After the second meeting he said, "Hi, you smell nice". Thank-you was all I had to say. The Third time I ran into him. I saw him from a distance and slowly he made his way over. "Good God" he said, "you always smell so nice".

I smiled and this was the time I noticed his wedding band. Thanks I said. He stated, "I know this is a bit intrusive, but what are you wearing?". I told him and left it at that. About 2 months later I run into him and he comes over " I figured it was just to get a sniff...lol". He tell me you know I bought that perfume for my lady (his wife, I assumed). And? I asked. He goes on to tell me that it just didn't smell the same on her.

Well,to make the story short. We ended up having a cup of coffee together. In fact I have met up with him several times. NO...I am not into married men. However, we have become sort of friends, having lots in common.
What are his intentions?....I don't know. I guess I'll have to sniff him out.
...Granny.

 
At June 08, 2007 5:08 PM, Blogger owen said...

desire, damn those scents

 
At June 08, 2007 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Simple, you do give some decent advice though mi friend :)

 
At June 10, 2007 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the 7 indicators.

 
At June 11, 2007 11:16 AM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

Anonymous, please don't take offense to this, but cut the crap. What do you mean you don't know what his intentions are?? A married man has coffee with you and tells you you smell better than his wife, and you have NO clue what he wants?! What married man meets up with a single woman several times just to be friends?! *sigh*

Another entry for another time...

 
At June 11, 2007 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL..Ms.Simplenigma.,

I've been reading you for a good while now. I love your style,(the sharing) your advice is on target.
You place a 4th point when the discussion is on a triangle.

At my age I done know what a man wants, where,when and how..lol.
But, really. Who is to say we can't be good friends?
Sex is a physical demension of this wourld. I understand that.
Listen I have sweetened my tea with sugar, tired honey, stevia, and now I take it green with nothing added at all. Life is like that no?

I remember reading your entry where you talked about your Grace Jones days. I had laughed so much because I compared it to Queen Elizabeth (prim & proper)with white gloves on, perceived to be still ruling over her lost empire. Then I pictured Grace Jones on the thorne. What would the laws be? How could they be brocken. I can't see Grace Jones looking back on her life saying..DAMN! could have, would have, should have... You get me?

I believe people come into your life for a reason,(Did I mention that he is like 20 years younger than me?).
It is not always for me to teach.Maybe there is an important lesson for me.
One thing I have come to know over the years "attraction" is a powerful force destiny driven.

 
At June 11, 2007 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

....I did forget to sign/..Granny.

 
At June 11, 2007 12:33 PM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

LOL...Hi Granny.

Thank you for reading and for your feedback and perspective. Your comments come at a very interesting time because I got a question recently from an older woman that I was planning on answering this week.

1. Who's to say you all can't be friends? No one. Is friendship the likely reason he's seeking your company? My instinct (and my experiences) tell me it isn't. My mom is older than my dad; I know a 63 year old woman dating a 32 year old man. A 21 year old college senior is trying to court my 40 year old friend as we speak. The Ashton Kutcher/Demi Moore relationship isn't an anomaly. If he's interested in a friendship, he should invite his wife along to your friendly get togethers. After all, you're both exchanging intimacies (even if it's not physical) to the point where you've found out that you have so much in common.

2. You mention your age (or his youth, I should say) as if it were a handicap and that in itself makes it impossible for anything more than a friendship to develop. This is 2007 anything is possible, and if you doubt me, then refer to point #1. LOL.

3. 'Tis true, Grace Jones would live in the moment and not 2nd guess herself. But there's a reason there's only 1 Grace Jones. LOL. I admire her devil-may-care attitude, but I wouldn't want to be like that ALL the time, or be known as the woman who lives in the moment to the detriment of others' feelings.

My previous comment wasn't a judgement on your actions...and your age has nothing to do with it. I'd feel the same if you were 20 and single and having these meetings with a married man. It wasn't an injunction against carpe diem, but more a sanction for caveat emptor, based on you saying you didn't know what his intentions were.

I appreciate your perspective...keep commenting. :)

 
At June 11, 2007 8:18 PM, Blogger The OE said...

As a secret agent, I'm taking note to mix these up a little so that I can keep my adversaries off balance.

 
At July 06, 2007 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn Simple, you are good. that advice you gave to granny is wicked.

when i grow up....i want to be just like simple, minus the no man.
love you girl.

 
At July 10, 2007 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good advice. (let me just say...you didn't disappoint me).
Someday I'll expain this comment to you...

" Have courage in the face of adversity to travel the path of integrity without looking back, for there is never a wrong time to do the right thing".
Many blessings...Granny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home