Match Made In Heaven? Part I
For my 30th birthday, a friend of mine got me a 3-month subscription to M atch.com. I'm not quite sure how to take this, since I'd asked all my friends to donate to a charity in lieu of buying me a birthday gift.
Maybe she was killing two birds with one stone? Or maybe my previous online dating experiences so thoroughly entertained her that she was willing to pay for more? I dunno, but needless to say I wasn't very thrilled at receiving the gift. However, they say you should never look a gift horse in the mouth, and I didn't want to be ungrateful, so I decided that I'd give it a proper try so her $70+ dollars wouldn't be wasted. Besides, one of my closest friends met her husband through the site, so it can work, if you're open.
I deactivated my 1FootOffTheLedge username (shockingly, I hadn't gotten any emails) and decided to start anew. I completed my profile in great detail, taking care to discuss my likes, dislikes, who I was looking for, etc. I made sure I was specific.
Not surprisingly, the first person who contacted me was crazy. His first email: "Do you date interracially?" Nothing else, just the one question. Aside from the fact that I'd indicated that my racial preference was "open" on my profile, this question annoyed me for a couple of reasons:
1) I'm sure there were at least three interesting things on my profile that a dude could've asked me about to strike up a conversation.
2) It shows that he hasn't bothered to read my profile, which makes me wonder if he can read at all (a suspicion that was further confirmed after reading his profile. It was riddled with misspellings and grammatical errors, and you know how I feel about that)
3) Anyone who is so focused on race from the start is not someone I'm interested in dating. He'll be dating me for all the wrong reasons.
So I responded pleasantly: "I'm not so much interested in race," I wrote, "It's really more important for there to be chemistry. Race is such a non-issue in my life right now."
Email #2: "Ok, cool. I really liked your profile. We should chat and get to know each other better."
Email #3 (20 minutes after Email #2): "We should chat off the site. My email address is _________"
Email #4 (10 minutes after Email #3): "Let's talk. My number is _______"
Now keep in mind that he's sent me THREE emails in the space of a half hour, and since I logged off after responding, I'm only getting email alerts to my cell phone that someone has sent me an email on the site.
The next day, I log on and he's sent me another email...that's FOUR in a 24-hour period, in case you lost count. I realize this dude is crazy and I need to nip it in the bud.
"Dear ______," I wrote, "Thank you so much for the compliments and your interest in me. It's very flattering and I appreciate it very much. After looking at your profile, I don't think we are romantically compatible, but I wish you all the best in your search."
He responds almost immediately, which makes me realize that he's purchased one of those memberships where he's always logged on. That just solidifies his crazy status in my mind. His response: "How can you say we are not romantically compatible when we haven't even spoken? What does that mean?"
I decide to ignore the email and not respond. Ten minutes later, "SE, I need a response. Please explain to me how you can say we are not romantically compatible when you haven't spoken to me. I need an explanation. What kind of games are you playing?"
I immediately logged into the site and utilized the handy "Block" feature. Thank God, I hadn't exchanged any personal information with dude, 'cos he definitely has some issues.
And that was just the first person that contacted me! To think, I have 3 glorious months of this...


12 Comments:
he is a crazy one indeed! Definitely one to block. Came here via CP. totally enjoyed reading your post. i should visit again.
I've always been skeptical in those sites, though I know some people who have found love on them I'm still a bit apprehensive as to what is happening. Then you have crazy people like the one you got into contact with. Great thing that he showed himself early, cause if not then you'd be in for a rude awakening.. See how the next couple of months turn out to be. I think 09 is the year of changes and new beginnings. You never know what may happen!
This is why you ignore them from the beginning...
this is stunner's first time here? *shock*
anyhoo you did the man a GREAT disservice by not telling him whats wrong with him!!! now he'll never know
lol meanie :P
I rarely get a chance to explain anything (because I've retired) but it would seem that the guy is using some kinda "bot". A piece of software designed to complete a minor but repetitive task automatically and on command. So he may be sending you spam messages.
hmmm I should build a dating site one of these days.
@Stunner: I feel like you've been here before. All this time?
@Liryc: It can be a great experience; you just have to know how to spot the crazies...and I've had a lot of practice. LOL.
CP, how did I know you were gonna say that? LOL. I really did think about that course of action, but it IS a new year.
@Pepper: My fluffing days are over. Mi naw improve not one more man fo smaddy else.
Owen: You're a nerd. You can always add a dating section to your site. :)
problem is people will think that I'm using my super powers for evil by trying to start a brothel
yeah, you have to weed out the psychos but you meet psychos on the street every day any way, I'm sure you'll be fine
miss lady
i feel abandoned
even your own commenters stop by on my blog these days more dan u! there's alot to dissect in pepper's crazy life....pls to stop by
hmph!
That's how I roll...call me the blog connector....
He crazy.
he asked what kind of games are you playing??? Wow.
Post a Comment
<< Home